LT / DE / FR / RU 
  Search 
Search    Home Feedback Structure of Website ACCESSIBILITY / CREATORS / SUPPORTERS   
Contacts
Information for Visitor
Expositions
Exhibitions
History of the Gallery
   

A card holder may visit LAM branch museums: Vilnius Picture Gallery (Didžioji st. 4), Museum of Applied Art (Arsenalo st. 3A), Radvila Palace (Vilniaus st. 22), National Art Gallery (Konstitucijos av. 22) free-of-charge. For more information please check website www.vilnius-tourism.lt
 

Lietuvos integrali muziejų informacinė sistema (LIMIS)

Vilniaus paveikslų galerija

Vilniaus paveikslų galerija. Nuotr. Jogailės Butrimaitės

Vilniaus paveikslų galerija. Nuotr. Jogailės Butrimaitės 

Vilniaus paveikslų galerija. Nuotr. Jogailės Butrimaitės

Vilniaus paveikslų galerija. Nuotr. Tomo Kapočiaus

vilnius picture gallery

(Branch of the Lithuanian Art Museum)

Contacts
Address: Didžioji g. 4, LT-01128, Vilnius.
Tel.: (+370 ~ 5) 212 08 41, (+370 ~ 5) 212 42 58.
Fax (+370 ~ 5) 212 0841.
Mob. tel. (+370 687) 16 739.
E-mail: galerija@ldm.lt
http://www.ldm.lt/VPG/Index.htm
Head of the gallery – Vytautas Balčiūnas.

Information for Visitor

Opening hours:
Tuesday to Saturday 11–18.
Sunday 12–17.
On the eve of National Holidays opening hours are shortened for one hour.

Admission:
adults – 1,80 €;
pupils, students and OAP – 0,90 €;
children under 7, disabled, ICOM member – free.

Guided tours:
Lithuanian language – 10 €;
foreign language – 15 €.

Access:
the Museum is fitted for visitors with mobility impairments.

Expositions (permanent exhibitions)
Lithuanian art from 16th to 19th century
Classicist interiors of the Palace

Exhibitions
Present Exhibitions >
Archive Exhibitions >

History of the Gallery
Vilnius Picture Gallery is situated in the former Chodkevičiai Palace built in the early 17th century. The Palace has constantly been expanded and reconstructed. In the 19th century it became a characteristic building of the late classicism style. At present it is one of the most interesting ensembles of this style in Vilnius. Many elements of interior decoration (stoves, wall sculptures) characteristic of that period have been retained in the halls of the first floor with the recreated interior of the 19th century inside. As it was usual for Lithuanian mansions, collections of medals, portrait miniatures, views of the old Vilnius, portraits of well-known townsmen (collection of Vilnius Philanthropy Society) are exhibited in the halls of the gallery.
There are two people in this story who have a certain historical significance. One is the architect Laurynas Stuoka-Gucevičius (1753–1798), who was largely responsible for the spread of classical architecture in Lithuania in the late 18th century and whose work is represented by some of his drawings.
The second is the painter Pranciškus Smuglevičius (1745–1807), also on exponent of classicism, who became the first professor of painting in the Vilnius School of Art. They both worked together on the design and decoration of Vilnius Cathedral.
The classical and the later romantic schools of painting are well covered, by paintings, which deal with exotic themes and landscapes, as well as ones, which treat local subjects.
In the middle of the 19th century, due two anti-tsarist political activity and in particular the uprising of 1830–1831, Vilnius University, which included the art school, was closed down. As a result, young artists who wanted to study had to go abroad, and they returned with more nature and more subtle ideas. Alfredas Remeris' (1832–1897) painting of a girl's hands is a beguiling portrait of female sensuality that usually causes visitors to linger a while in front of it. Since 1994 the collection has been housed in the Chodkevičius Palace. Built for one of the city's famous ruling families, most of the present building dates from the 19th century. Concerts are often held in its newly restored rooms.

 

Share:
 
TopTop
© Lithuanian Art Museum, © Association of Lithuanian Museums. ISSN 1648-8857 Page updated 30.05.2017
Technological Support of Website: UNESCO Chair in Informatics for the Humanities at the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics