LT / DE / FR / RU 
  Search 
Search    Home Feedback Structure of Website ACCESSIBILITY / CREATORS / SUPPORTERS   
Contacts
Information for Visitor
Exposition
Exhibitions
History of the Museum
   

Virtual Tour >  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

clock Museum

(Branch of the Lithuanian Art Museum)

Contacts
Address: Liepų g. 12, LT-92114, Klaipėda.
Tel. (+370 ~ 46) 41 04 14.
Fax (+370 ~ 46) 41 04 17.
E-mail: klm@takas.lt 
http://www.muziejai.lt/klm/index.htm
http://www.ldm.lt/KLM/Index.htm
Director – Romualdas Martinkus.

Opening hours:
Tuesday to Saturday 12–18.
Sunday and National Holiday Eve 12–17.

Admission:
Admission charge – 1,80 €; 
Pupil, student and OAP – 0,90 €;
Guides tours – 15 €.
Child under 7, disabled, ICOM member – free.

Additional services:
Guided tours by arrangement;
Lectures, seminars, art appreciation classes, drawing classes, etc by prior arrangement;
Museum grounds hire for events up to 300 persons;
Every Saturday and Sunday 12.00–12.30 in the Clock Museum Courtyard – Carillon Music Concert.

Exposition
Exhibition of the museum is divided into two parts.
At the first part principles of time measurement and development of clock and watch construction since the ancient times till nowadays is introduced. Here one can find calendars, sundials, star, water, and fire clocks, sandglasses, mechanical and other timepieces.
The second part of the exposition reveals the change in forms and design of mechanical watches and clocks from the Renaissance until modern times.
The Clock Museum is a unique place of interest in Lithuania and Eastern Europe. There is a sundial park in the courtyard of the museum. Sundials mounted here indicate sun time of Klaipeda latitude.
History of the clock structures from the ancient times till the present and development of the clock form since Renaissance till art moderne.
Park of Sundial in the yard of Museum.
Watchmaker’s workshop

Exhibitions
'Baroque – the amazing technique of Charles Boulle (1642–1732)'
'The history of Klaipeda Clock Museum's building, 19th – 20th c.'

History of the Museum
Klaipeda Clock Museum was opened in 1984 in a renovated 19th century's building. Its exposition consists of two parts. The first part introduces the development of the construction of time measuring devices from older times until today; originals, models or reconstructed copies of ancient calendars, sun, water, fire and sand clocks, mechanical time measuring devices; exhibits which show the change of clock forms from Renaissance to modern styles. Together with the clocks from different countries, characteristic furniture and artistic works are selected and displayed according to particular periods. A part of a 19th century park is still preserved near the museum and a large "quator" clock is on display in the closed courtyard. A vertical sun clock showing the time of Klaipeda latitude is mounted on one wall and the monumental composition "The Sun's Path Through Constellations" - on another. A working belfry is located in the old post office building near the museum and on weekends one can listen to concerts of carillon (bell) music. Music festivals, poetry, theatre, dancing eve and other events also take place in Clock Museum courtyard.

 

Share:
 
TopTop
© Lithuanian Art Museum, © Association of Lithuanian Museums. ISSN 1648-8857 Page updated 10.01.2017
Technological Support of Website: UNESCO Chair in Informatics for the Humanities at the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics