LT / DE / FR / RU 
  Search 
Search    Home Feedback Structure of Website ACCESSIBILITY / CREATORS / SUPPORTERS   
Contacts
Information for Visitor
Collection
Exposition
Cultural, educational
activity
Other news
Druskininkai Resort
History of the Spa
   
 
Museums | In Lithuania | Search by Region | Druskininkai | Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis Memorial Museum


mikalojus konstantinas čiurlionis memorial museum

Contacts
Address: M. K. Čiurlionio g. 35, LT-66164, Druskininkai.
Tel. (+370 ~ 313) 51131, +370 678 58216.
E-mail: CiurlionioMemorialinis[at]gmail.com

Information for Visitor

Opening hours:
Tuesday to Sunday 11–17.
Closed on the National Holidays.

Admission:
adults – 1,50 €; 
pupil, student and OAP – 0,75 €.
The entrance to the museum is free on Wednesdays (except June, July and August).

Additional services:
Excursions (8–12 €) can be booked by telephone (+370 ~ 313) 51131, +370 678 58216, +370 647 26611.
You can purchase works, replications, sheet music, music records, books, art albums, exhibition catalogues and souvenirs by M. K. Čiurlionis at the museum.
There is a parking lot next to the museum.

Collection
The museum contains a memorial exhibition illustrating M. K. Čiurlionis' biography and photographs, documents, reproductions of the artist's works, as well as a collection of works dedicated to M. K. Čiurlionis by contemporary artists from different countries.

Exposition
M. K. Čiurlionis Memorial Museum invites its visitors to the multi-branchy anniversary-memorial exposition „M. K. Čiurlionis: circle of the sun“. The conception reflects the way of activity and contemplations of M. K. Čiurlionis – works of the most famous Lithuanian artist came into the world in an early morning, in the middle of the day or even in a later evening at sunset.

The first overlook circle starts in the first house where the museum till is located. Its photos concentrate on the facts of the biography of M. K. Čiurlionis – beginning of the trip of the great artist to professional creation. A visitor can see the parameters of the creation by M. K. Čiurlionis in the poster exhibition „Way of works by M. K. Čiurlionis in the world“ intended for the 50th anniversary of the museum; it has already visited Moscow, Paris, Warsaw, Barcelona, Tokyo etc.
The second overlook circle invites visitors to the second and third memorial houses. They contain the biggest amount of authentic material about the Čiurlionis family and the echo of steps of M. K. Čiurlionis is felt there. The harmonium of the Čiurlionis family, piano given to M. K. Čiurlionis by Mykolas Ogisnkis, the first author painting works by M. K. Čiurlionis and photos chosen specially for the anniversary date are eye-catching. By the way, the third house having opened its door in 1963 was especially affected by challenges of the current of history. Visitors can see the creation room of M. K. Čiurlionis and see the pallet of M. K. Čiurlionis. There is an authentic piano in the biggest room of that house which was used by the composer during the study years in Warsaw.
The third overlook circle brown house meets a visitor with a new exposition. The gallery consists of three halls and two of them are intended for the imitative art by M. K. Čiurlionis. The exposition involving the early works by the painter in 1903–1906 and the later period of 1907–1909 got exclusive attention in 2013. During the election of the favourite work by M. K. Čiurlionis, „Friendship“, legends-surrounded „Fairytale of Kings“, „Sea Sonata“ and „Summer Sonata“ got most votes of visitors. Now both guides tell about those works and visitors may interpret their contemplations in a free manner by recording their ideas in the museum diary. The sounds of symphonic poems by M. K. Čiurlionis constantly ring in the gallery and lead to the synthesis of art and music created by M. K. Čiurlionis as a bridge; they enable realizing the genesis of styles in the creation by M. K. Čiurlionis in a new way. 

Cultural, educational activity
Delivering lectures;


 

 
   

Film reviews;
Pleinairies of painters;
Summer concerts.

Other news
The museum was founded in 1963 in the home of the artist and parents, and in which he lived sporadically from 1890 to 1910. It was in Druskininkai that M. K. Čiurlionis wrote his symphonic poem The Sea ("Jura") and painted the series The Grass-Snake Sonata ("Pavasario sonata") and created many other works.

Druskininkai Resort
Open the whole year round, Druskininkai is a climato-balneopelotherapic health resort. The town is at a distance of 130 kilometers from the biggest Lithuanian cities Vilnius and Kaunas. It is the only health resort in Europe, which is surrounded by the widest territory of old pine groves, which grants the special harmony for human soul and body.
The mineral waters of Druskininkai gush out from time immemorial. According to the decree of the king Stanislov August in 1794 Druskininkai is announced as a treatment place. Today 8 sanatoriums invite you here.
Wonderful nature, mineral water baths and mud treatments soothe nerves, give tone to a man's muscles, make more active the vegetative functions, improve metabolism, secretion and motor functions of stomach, regulates the activity of bowels.

History of the Spa
Druskininkai, resort town in southern Lithuania, on the Right Bank of the Nemunas.
Forests, mostly pine, surround the town from all sides. Mineral springs gush forth on the banks of the Nemunas. Fragrant pine forests and natural mineral water have made the place an all-year-round resort, where people come for cures, to rest and take their vacations.
According to a decree of King Stanislas Augustus in 1794 Druskininkai was proclaimed a place with curative properties. Professors of the University of Vilnius did research into the chemical structure of the springs from 1821-1835.
A plan to set up a health resort in Druskininkai was approved by the government in 1837; the following year 14 bathrooms were opened and a hospital was built. In 1843 about 2 000 patients underwent treatment.
With the growth of the health-resort the small town expanded at the same time: a Roman Catholic church was built in 1844-1852 and a Russian Orthodox Church in 1865. In 1884 a park for sunbathing was opened. After a fire in 1894 150 new brick bathrooms were built.
In 1920 Poland occupied Druskininkai, together with a wide strip of the district of Vilnius. The Poles renovated the equipment fallen out of use during the war, built new villas, and drilled two deeper wells.
After World War II, with Lithuania left under Soviet occupation, the health-resort of Druskininkai was considerably enlarged to cater for people coming from Soviet Union to undergo treatment.
Lithuanian musician and painter M. K. Čiurlionis spent his childhood in Druskininkai and were later often to spend his summers here writing down Lithuanian folk songs, composing music and painting.

Illustrations from the collections of the National M.K.Ciurlionis Museum of Art

Share:
 
TopTop
© Lithuanian Art Museum, © Association of Lithuanian Museums. ISSN 1648-8857 Page updated 28.09.2016
Technological Support of Website: UNESCO Chair in Informatics for the Humanities at the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics