LT / DE / FR / RU 
  Search 
Search    Home Feedback Structure of Website ACCESSIBILITY / CREATORS / SUPPORTERS   
Contacts
Information for Visitor
Collection
Exposition
Exhibitions
Cultural, educational
activity
Branch Museums
History of the Museum
Jurbarkas City
   
 

Jurbarkas Area History Museumjurbarkas area history museum

Contacts
Address: Vydūno g. 21, LT-74119, Jurbarkas.
Tel. (+370 ~ 447) 52 710.
E-mail: jkm[at]takas.lt
http://www.jurbarkomuziejus.lt/
Director – Lilija Jakelaitienė.

Opening hours:
Tuesday to Friday 8–17.
Saturdays 11–16.

Additional services
Reservation for thematic tours;
Extensive research resources of theoretical and practical materials are available for people writing creative works;
Hall renting for chamber music concerts and similar activities.

Collection
The museum preserves archeological, ethnographic, historical and folk-art collections. 
Most exclusive collection is the ethnographic one.
The museum also houses many historical pictures, work collections and archives of folk artists Mikutaitis and Baranauskienė.

Exposition

Household exposition
Expositions acquaints visitors with work tools, agricultural implements, transportation, food processing and trade tools of the people of the Jurbarkas region.

Ethnographic peasant's room
The exposition of ethnographic peasant's room displays the specifics of home furnishing, child raising, furniture, eating tools, foot-wear, clothing, decorating elements, teaching materials, and ceremonial instruments. 

The Photos Exposition of the Dukes Vasilčikovai

The Exposition of Jurgis Baltrušaitis

Exhibitions
The museum usually exhibits fine art, folk art, and ethnographic traveling exhibitions. Exhibitions are held in the museum's exhibition room.
The first floor of the Museum's Židinys (Fireplace) Hall is meant for bigger exhibitions (such as those of hunters, weavers, florists) and for various events, concerts, afternoon meetings, and children activities. A permanent photograph collection of duke Vasilčikovai' family of nobles is displayed on the second floor of Židinys hall. The daughter of the last duke's house-manager, who now resides in Germany, sent the collection to the museum.

Cultural, educational activity
Educational program "Museum for school";
Thematic lessons "Flax journey", "I know my native land", "The Dukes Vasilčikovai and Jurbarkas";
Activities of children and museum friendship club;
Organization of thematic events;
Organization of literature and music events; 
Organization of meetings with famous Jurbarkas area artists;
Organization of thematic afternoons for children.

Branch Museums

Veliuona Area Museum
Address: Muziejaus g. 2, LT-74442, Veliuona, Jurbarko rajonas.
Tel. +370 617 32 811.
E-mail: angeleoster[at]gmail.com
More information >

Vincas Grybas Museum
Address: Vydūno g. 31, LT-74112, Jurbarkas.
Tel.: (+370 ~ 447) 54 786, (+370 ~ 447) 53 522.
E-mail: rasa.grybaite[at]gmail.com, info[at]vgrybomuziejus.lt
http://www.vgrybomuziejus.lt/
More information >

Konstantinas Glinskis Farmstead-Museum
Address: Vydūno g. 45, LT-74112, Jurbarkas.
Tel. (+370 ~ 447) 54 786.
The branch of museum opened in 1994 in birthplace of actor and artistic director Konstantinas Glinskis (1886-1938).
A memorial exhibition reflects the actor's life and creative work.

Petras Cvirka Memorial Museum-farmstead
Address: Klangių kaimas, LT-74438, Veliuonos seniūnija, Jurbarko rajonas.
Tel.: (+370 ~ 447) 52 710, (+370 ~ 447) 42 625.
E-mail: kristinarag[at]gmail.com
The museum was opened in 1953 in the birthplace of the writer Petras Cvirka (1909–1947). The main exhibition tells the story of the writer's life and literary creation. Another exhibition features ethnographic exhibits relating to the Veliuona area.

History of the Museum
The Jurbarkas Area History Museum's establishment started in 1991 when the exhibits from Girdžiai secondary school museum were moved to Jurbarkas. 
The museum opened in one of the buildings, formerly belonged to the dukes Vasilčikovai. Earlier the building served a purpose to accommodate the dukes' honorable guests and relatives. Until 1991, it was Jurbarkas secondary school, which later was turned into musical school, where folk artists worked and others lived. 
In 1991 the building was adapted to the needs of the museum.
Before then, Girdžiai secondary school teachers, Danutė and Vincas Norkaičiai, had established the museum in Girdžiai. When the building was returned to its lawful owners, the museum expositions were transported to Jurbarkas by Norkaičiai. They started the foundation of the museum on the estate of the former dukes.
They established the household and history exposition when the north side of the building was restored.
In 1996, the museum was registered as the Jurbarkas region municipality's history museum.
The Museum's founder is the Jurbarkas Region Municipality.

Jurbarkas City
The town of Jurbarkas lies in the valley of the mighty Nemunas River in western Lithuania. Prized for its history, culture, relaxed way of life, and its awe inspiring natural setting, Jurbarkas makes a perfect day trip or a great place to investigate for a few days. The first mention of the town was in 1259.
The Jurbarkas region's history has spanned centuries and much of it can still be seen in and around Jurbarkas. The hills and valleys surrounding Jurbarkas tell a glowing story of Lithuanian provincial life and culture from the time when crusaders first built Georgenburg castle in the area. Jurbarkas has rich tapestry of Lithuanian, German, Polish, and Russian history to complement anyone's visit.
Jurbarkas is renowned throughout Lithuania as the place to experience the outdoors. With the areas vast amount of rivers, lakes, forest, parks, and hills, Jurbarkas makes a great stop for enjoying the natural world. Nature lovers, hikers, campers, hunters, and fishermen are convinced Jurbarkas is an excellent discovery!

Photos by Sigitas Platūkis

Share:
 
TopTop
© Lithuanian Art Museum, © Association of Lithuanian Museums. ISSN 1648-8857 Page updated 03.10.2016
Technological Support of Website: UNESCO Chair in Informatics for the Humanities at the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics