Building of former
KGB headquarters. Photo: Vilma Juozevičiūtė
Monument to Soviet
in Aukų str. Photo: Vilma Juozevičiūtė
Monument to the deportees. Photo: Jonas Vaitkus
Entrance to the museum. Photo: Vilma
The museum lobby. Photo: Sigitas Platūkis
The exposition "The KGB prison". Photo: Vilma Juozevičiūtė
The exposition "The execution chamber".
Photo: Jonas Vaitkus
The exposition "Lithuania in 1940 and 1941: the persecutions
start..". Photo: Jonas Vaitkus
exhibition dedicated to the Nazi occupation and the Holocaust in
Lithuania. Photo: Jonas Vaitkus
The exposition "The partisan war between 1944 and 1953".
Photo: Jonas Vaitkus
The exposition "An unequal fight (suppression
of the armed resistance)". Photo: Jonas Vaitkus
The exposition "Lithuanian people in Soviet
prisons and hard labour camps: 1944–1956". Photo: Skirmantė
The exposition "Deportations: 1944–1953".
Photo: Skirmantė Vaitkevičiūtė
The exposition "The KGB 1954–1991". Photo:
The exposition "The Popular Anti-Soviet Resistance:
1954–1991". Photo: Vilma Juozevičiūtė
of Genocide Victims
Address: Aukų g. 2a, LT-01113, Vilnius.
Tel.: (+370 ~ 5) 249 81 56, (+370 ~ 5) 249 62 64.
Fax (+370 ~ 5) 249 74 27.
Director Eugenijus Peikštenis.
Information for Visitor
Wednesday to Saturday 10–18;
adults – 2 €;
pupils, students and retired people (with presentation of the appropriate
document) – 1 €.
Free admission for museums professionals, disabled persons, children under 7
years, teachers and guides leading organized groups.
Survey guided tour in Lithuanian language – 9 €,
Survey guided tour in another language – 15 €.
Thematic guided tour in Lithuanian language – 6 €.
Thematic guided tour in another language – 12 €.
Review of a documentary – 6 €.
Hire of headphones and recorded tour in English – 2,50 €.
Copying and photographing of the exhibits of the museum;
Consultations for visitors and institutions;
The museum bookshop sells publications by the Genocide and Resistance Centre
Memorial Complex of the Tuskulėnai Peace
Address: Žirmūnų g. 1F, LT-09239 Vilnius.
Tel.: (+370 ~ 5) 275 07 04, (+370 ~ 5) 275 12 23.
More information >
This is a historical-memorial museum forming its collections following
thematic principle. Historical-documentary material reflecting repression
taken against the inhabitants of Lithuania by occupational regimes
(1940-1990), material on the anti-Soviet and anti-Nazi resistance,
information about participants of struggles for freedom and victims of
genocide are accumulated.
More information >
The KGB prison
The most important part of the exhibition put on by the museum is the old
NKVD/MGB/KGB prison that was established in the basement of the building in
the autumn of 1940 after Lithuania‘s occupation by the Soviet Union. At that
time, the prison contained 50 cells. Only at the beginning of the 1960s,
when the anti-Soviet resistance was broken, were most of the cells used to
house the KGB archives. The remaining 23 cells (later on, 19) were still
used for the imprisonment of dissidents and fighters for human rights.
The prison is now as it was when the KGB left it in August 1991. Visitors
can see 19 common wards, the rooms of the duty officer and the guards, the
search and fingerprinting rooms, a padded cell where prisoners were
tortured, solitery confinement cells and courtyards where prisoners were
taken for exercise. Small thematic exhibitions are put on in some cells
(about the persecution of priests and etc).
The execution chamber
On display in glass stands is material which shows the procedures of
sentencing people to death, and the inhuman treatment of dead bodies. Under
a glass floor some objects discovered in the burial ground in Tuskulėnai are
displayed: shoes, buttons, glasses, etc.
Lithuania in 1940 and 1941:
the persecutions start...
This exhibition reflects the situation of Lithuania in the late 1930s and
shows how Moscow, with the help of local collaborators, destroyed gradually
the sovereignty of the state, ruined the system of state power and
administration, implemented communist ideology, and deported and imprisoned
This was the room of the deputy chief of the prison during the last decades
of the existence of the repressive Soviet aparatus. On display are genuine
furniture and other objects from the 1950s. Some details of the room‘s
interior have been recreated.
The exhibition dedicated to the Nazi
occupation and the Holocaust in Lithuania
The new exhibition has been mounted in ward No 3 of the former KGB
inner prison wherein there still remain inscriptions of people
imprisoned by the Gestapo during the years of the Nazi occupation
dated 1942–1944. Placed in a narrow space, the exposition displays
the material on the Nazi occupation in Lithuania, the Gestapo prison
and its inmates, the history of the Vilnius ghetto, mass murder site
in Paneriai, recent explorative studies carried out in 2008 in the
territory of the Paneriai Forest Park, as commissioned by the
Genocide and Resistance Research Centre of Lithuania, as well as the
names of the non-Jewish residents of Lithuania that have been granted
the title of the Righteous among the Nations for rescuing Jews during
The exposition was made of the photographs, documents and items from
the collections of the Genocide and Resistance Research Center, the
Vilna Gaon Jewish State Museum, Kaunas IX Fort Museum, the Lithuanian
Central State Archive, and private persons.
The partisan war between
1944 and 1953
In July 1944, after the three-year-long occupation by Nazi Germany, the
Soviet army marched into Lithuania again. It was the start of the
nine-year-long partisan war for the reestablishment of the independent
This exhibition presents the territorial structure and the military
organisation of the partisan units,the goals of the freedom fighters, and
their daily life. There are genuine documents from the partisan movement,
periodicals and other publications, manuscripts, personal belongings, and
photographs which immortalise the faces of the freedom fighters, rare
celebrations, and moments of tribute to their brothers-in-arms.
An unequal fight
(suppression of the armed resistance)
The exhibition shows who was in charge of implementing Soviet power in
Lithuania, and the organisations responsible for suppressing the armed
anti-Soviet resistance. Documents and other visual material demonstrate the
methods of Soviet repression – the interior army, special reprisal
battalions and groups of shock troops.
Lithuanian people in Soviet
prisons and hard labour camps: 1944–1956
In the second half of 1944, after the Soviet Union occupied Lithuania again,
the repression of peaceful inhabitants of the country was immediately
This hall is devoted to political prisoners. Documentary material showing
the scale and methods of the repression is on display. It demonstrates the
Soviet penal system and the appaling working and living conditions of the
prisoners. There is an exhibition of clothes and footwear worn in labour
camps, homemade crosses, prayer books and greeting cards...
Deportations, the mass evictions of people from their places of residence to
the remotest regions of the Soviet Union, were one of the most brutal
measures taken by the Soviet regime against civilians.
The documentary material displayed acquaints visitors with the procedures of
organising and carrying out deportations, the legal status and living
conditions of the deportees, and statistical documents about the
deportations. Documentary and feature films, and photographs of burial
grounds in Siberia, supplemet the factual information, and show the fate and
missery of the people who suffered humiliation and injustice.
The KGB: 1954–1991
By using documents regulating KGB activities, equipment that has survived,
methodological material, forms used and other documentary material, attempts
have been made to show the methods of the KGB as a department which
fulfilled the functions of the political police in the Soviet Union, and to
show its exceptional place in the Soviet political system.
Listening equipment and furniture that has survived is on display in the
eavesdropping room, and some of the interiors have been reproduced.
The Popular Anti-Soviet
The visual material, original proclamations and documents, periodicals and
other samizdat publications on display show the popular national resistance,
trends in the movement which formed in the 1960s and 1970s, and the
organisations which developed them. The National Revival Movement, called
the “Singing Revolution”, which resulted in the reestablishment of the
independent state, is also reflected in the exhibition.
During the years of the existence of the Soviet repressive agencies, this
room served as a darkroom. Behind the partition, surviving furniture and
equipment are on display. Some interior details have been recreated.
Historical exhibitions are organized in the museum constantly and its
travelling exhibitions are taken to the country‘s cities and towns, and
to other countries too.
Cultural, educational activity
Excursions for school-children;
Supplying information material for exhibitions arranged in schools;
Seminars, film showings and meetings with former political prisoners,
deportees and partisans are held here.
Department of History
The division systematizes studies, describes and registers valuables of the
museum, takes care of the replenishment of the collections, arranges
expositions and exhibitions, prepares publications, arranges topical events,
provides visitor service, implements educational activities.
Department of Registration
and Regulation of the Stock
The division fulfills the primary registration of the displays, takes care
of valuables of the museum accepted and transferred for permanent, long-term
and short-term keeping, is in charge of the proper conditions for keeping
the displays and restoring them.
The division takes care of economic and financial affairs of the museum.
The museum was established on October 14, 1992. At that time founders of the
museum were the Ministry of Culture and Education of the Republic of
Lithuania and the Union of Political Prisoners and Exiles.
In 1997 the museum was re-organized.
Following decision No. 263 of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania of
March 24, 1997 "On the transfer of the Center of the Investigation of
Repression in Lithuania and the Museum of Victims of Genocide to the
Research Center of Genocide and Resistance of the Inhabitants of Lithuania"
the functions of a founder were transferred to the Center.
Since June 1997 the Genocide Victims' Museum is a part of the Memorial
Department of the Research Center of Genocide and Resistance of the
Inhabitants of Lithuania.
Founder of the museum – the Research Center of Genocide and Resistance of
the Inhabitants of Lithuania.