Intas Museum of Rare Stones
Address: Salantų g. 2, Mosėdis LT-98271, Skuodo rajonas.
Tel./fax (+370 ~ 440) 76 352.
Tel.: (+370 ~ 440) 76 291, (+370 ~ 440) 76 311 (director).
Director – Evaldas Razgus.
Information for Visitor
1st May to 31st October:
Monday to Sunday 10–20.
1st November to 30th April:
to Friday 8–17.
adults – 8 Lt (2,32 €);
pupils, students, pensioners – 3 Lt (0,87 €).
disabled, children – free.
lithuanian language – 20 Lt (5,80 €),
foreign language (Russian, German) – 30 Lt (8,70 €).
Only during the summertime, one week before the visit: tel. (+370 ~ 440) 76291, on Saturday and on
Sunday tel. (+370 ~ 440) 51124.
The Museum of Rare Stones stores rich collections of unique stones of
The collection of more than 150 000 stones and pebbles is exposed, including
rock boulders from the Baltic region, widespread in the North, East, Middle
and West Lithuania.
The biggest stone of the Museum weighs 50 tons, the smallest hardly some
The Museum also accumulates tree-sections from trees growing in Lithuania.
petrographical exposition of stones
It presents classified rock fragments, geological maps, displays rare
The exposition represents in a close form the typical boulders of crystal
rocks of various types from the glacial epoch, which are found in Lithuania.
The exposition is laid out by origin of stones in the area of 14 ha. The rock
boulders from the East, Middle
and West Finland, from the bottom of the Finnish Gulf, from the Aland Isles,
from the bottom of the Botnic Bay, from the South, Middle, North Sweden,
which traveled to Lithuania during the glacial epoch (approximately before
700 000-13 000 years) are laid out in a consecutive geographical order.
Cultural, educational activity
Educational activities designed to reveal the ethnocultural and practical
importance of the erratic boulders of Lithuania.
Organizing of various events.
Intas (1925–2007) is the establisher of the Museum of Rare Stones
In 1955 he graduated from the Kaunas Medical Institute and started working
at the Mosėdis Hospital.
V. Intas brought plants of 1 300 species from the Soviet Union’s botanical
gardens and decorated the whole Mosėdis.
From 1957 he started collecting stones.
Since 1971 big stones formed the Museum of Stones.
V. Intas was and still is assisted by many people who helped to establish
and further develop the Museum.
The establisher was awarded by numerous diplomas, letters of honor and
The town of Mosėdis was first mentioned in the Crusaders’ written documents
in 1253. When the Lithuanian State was first coming into existence, it
belonged to the Ceklis district. The area had few inhabitants and much of
its areas were covered with forests. In the 16th and 17th centuries, these
forests began to be cut down.
The town first stood on the hill on the southern bank of the Bartuva River.
In the 15th century, the settlement belonged to the Bishop of the Lowlands.
In 1551, the first wooden church was build. At that time, the settlement
spread to Baltic Sea and areas of current day Latvia. In 1783, the Church of
St. Mykolas Archangelas was built. Construction was completed in 1884 when
the towers were made taller.
In 1841, the town had 709 inhabitants, many of whom were Jews.
In 1907 fire greatly destroyed the town. Again on June 6, 1962, fire
destroyed the town’s center. The damaged area was rebuilt with brick, and
trees and greenery were planted everywhere. This area became the town’s most
frequently visited spot.
Illustrations from the Museum's funds