Address: Vytauto pr. 52, LT-44237 Kaunas.
Tel. (+370 ~ 37) 20 62 10.
Tel./ fax (+370 ~ 37) 20 79 36.
Director – Živilė Jakaitė.
Monday to Thursday 9.00–16.30.;
adults – 3 Lt;
children (under 16) – 2 Lt.
charge – 15 Lt.
Reservation of excursions;
Organizing of cultural events in the hall of the Museum.
The collections accumulated by the museum reflect the history of education
in Lithuania: the first school mentioned in 1397 book of Vilnius Cathedral,
and other schools opened in Lithuania after the introduction of
Christianity, parish schools and colleges of 17th–18th centuries, education
under the tsarist regime, the system of education in the Republic of
Lithuania, its development in the period between the two world wars, and the
Soviet system of education. The collections include teaching materials,
educational periodicals, and the personal libraries of well-known teachers
Of ancient times to out
introduces development of education in Lithuania from the beginning of state
creation in the 13th century until 1990. It is intended to show how unique
Lithuanian school development was and empathizing at the same time that it
developed on the same groundwork as Christian Europe. At three exposition
halls side by side of pedagogical history it is explained historic changing
methods of exhibiting museum values. There can be found traditional
show-cases, models of school illustrations, interactive furniture, original
image projections, some of the exhibits can be touched by visitors. At each
of the hall, devoted to different stages of school development, by special
equipment it can be felt the atmosphere of that period.
At the hall of the oldest
period (13th – 19th centuries) there is shown the way of Christian
Europe education spreading in Lithuania, emphasizing at the same time what
influence Order of the Jesuits, the Reformation, and the University of
Vilnius had on it.
Also there is shown how czarist Russian in the 19th century tried to
transform school into Lithuanian russification tool and activity of one of
the first Lithuanian school fosters M. Valančius and S. Daukantas. Great
importance is attached to secret school as a manifestation of national
There are presented 60 authentic exhibits: Lithuanian literature of
18th-19th centuries, manuals, exercise books, school hand bell, inkpots and
more school accessories; model of secret school.
the exposition hall “Education in Lithuania in 1904-1940” there are
exhibited documents, photographs, statute of first educational associations,
rare manuals of national school foundation in early 20th century.
In independent Lithuania (1918–1940) there were created and was operating
democratic educational system. Each of its element (pre-school, elementary,
secondary, university education) present different stands of exhibition.
Visitors can be attracted by rich collection of educational means of that
period. An interesting accent of exposition is model of classroom of primary
school. There are exhibited more than 300 objects in exposition hall.
the exposition hall granted to education development of Lithuanian and
emigrants in 1940–1990 there are presented school history of
scattered Lithuanian nation by political events of mid-20th century,
authentic Soviet educational system documents, politically ideological
educational literature, items of schoolchildren (exercise books,
certificates, bags, uniforms and many more), educational measures of
different subjects, personal belongings of exiled teachers and
schoolchildren, certificates of education in exile, Lithuanian press of
underground work in period of 50s–90s. Education of emigrants is presented
by photographs and documentary material, manuals, periodical press, objects
of children school Montessori in Chicago. Original exhibits (360 units) and
review material are presented in non-traditional way.
The Museum organizes exhibitions on topics of history of education, modern
education, about famous Lithuanian teachers, Lithuanian and foreign schools,
as well as exhibitions of pupils’ and teachers’ creative works.
Cultural, educational activity
The workers of the Museum take part in international conferences and
seminars, radio and TV broadcasts, they deliver lectures, publish articles,
realize the educational program “Native Land” to the aim of pupils’
fostering as citizens, arrange afternoons “The live school”.
The Pedagogical Museum has introduced an informative
virtual gallery to the visitors of the Museum. The aim of the authors of
this gallery (Jūratė Jagminienė and Gabija Mackevičiūtė) was to perpetuate
the heritage of the history of education and culture and also to present
historical facts to today’s society using sophisticated information
technologies. The visitors of the Museum can not only admire the exhibits of
the exposition on the history of Lithuanian education, but also learn
interesting facts while browsing the virtual gallery.
History of the museum
Pedagogical museum, which is one of the oldest museums of the independent
Lithuania, was established in 1922 by Kaunas local government. Initiator and
head of the museum for many years was Vincas Ruzgas (1890–1972), who was
pedagogue, author of manuals, and public man.
During the World War II the museum was closed.
In 1958 the museum was named as Republican Pedagogical Museum and its
exhibits for the visitors were accessible again. In 1980 it was opened an
exposition which examined development of education in Lithuania. In 2002
when the founder of the museum was substituted the museum was renamed as
Pedagogical Museum of Kaunas County.
In 2010 rights and duties of museum's founder were transferred to the
Ministry of Culture.
Photos from archive of the museum